Thursday, February 26, 2004

An ode to my sperm

In crim class yesterday, we were talking about whether or not we should legalize Marijuana. I said I didn't know if we should because legalization would most likely result in usage going up. This made sense to me. I mean, we've been talking about how the main reason people don't break rules right now is because any action that breaks norms are characterized by society as "deviant". No one wants to be deviant. Making Mary Jane legal would strip the deviant label off of smokers of said hallucinogen.

Anyways, one girl responds with "who in here is going to go off and smoke marijuana if it was legalized today, knowing the effects it will have on your future?" Cue the nervous looks around the room. No one wanted to raise their hands... so crap, I did. I mean, I want to think (for my mother's sake, at least) that I wouldn't smoke pot. But to be absolutely honest and naked with you (sorry for the mental image), I'm not sure I could say patently one way or the other whether I'd every try it or not.

So I raised my stubby little fingers to the sky in blatent honesty.

I was the hero for all those who felt the overwhelming pressure from the invisble arms-crossed-over-their-chests spectres of unaproving baptist mothers. I was the champion of those who too weak to speak their minds. Hercules come to lead the armies of the common man...

Everyone just stared at me.

So, like an idiot, I try to explain my statement to the 40 sets of eyes looking at me as if I was something the cat just coughed up.

"Well, um, uh, I don't... I'm not sure I can say for sure one way or the other whether or not I'd try it. I mean, yeah, I know its going to screw up my sperm and crap... but I'm not exactly using 'em right now, am I?"

At this point, the class went into a mode I've deemed "Ricki Lake Overdrive" (which would also be a great name for a band). Somewhere in between the "Oh no you DID-ENT"s and the "you need Jesus" comments, I found an incredible satisfaction. I bathed in their applause.

However, in the moments following my Tourrett's-inspired statement, I began to wonder why it was that I found so much enjoyment in said statement? Upon reflection, I really don't think it had much to do with the response it got from my fellow classmates. It was more intrinsic than that.

I've realized how sick I've become of the same old meaningless pap comments produced by my fellow classmates. -And by classmates, I mean Baylor overall. Is it me, or are we, as a student body, a little conservative? (cue laughter)

I love Baylor, I just feel as though sometimes people don't want to express their whole, true feelings. (wow, that was deep, Golemo). I look at all this crap going on about the Passion. Its the same damn homogenous argument over and over again... only everyone I hear, agrees.

People these days just seem to be completely okay with the "small talk" banter we have around here. Everyone wants to talk like the Freaking Gilmore Girls (the mom's so hot). The Gilmore Girls just talk talk talk, but they never say anything anything anything. They sound smart with their literary references, but really, its just talk that sounds smart. It's annoying as hell, but my hatred for the Gilmore Girls is a blog for another time.

It seems as though the only way to get someone here passionate about anything is to say you're from Antioch and you've come to take out their Garbage. -yeah, no one's going to understand that reference, well, maybe Chad, but that comes with sharing a brain. What I'm saying is that the only thing we argue about here at Baylor with any kind of passion is about the differences between christian religions. Is it me, or is that a massive waste of time when we have people starving to death 20 yards from campus?

But I guess even that statement is kind of moot. Because I have a friend who, every time I say something positive about Baylor, she talks about how little we do for the community. Yet, I can't remember the last time I saw her donate a spare moment to mission waco, firstep or any of those groups.

more on this later

No comments: