Monday, March 22, 2004

My girl, talkin' bout my girl...

I love slumber parties. Yeah, okay, so guys aren't supposed to call them "slumber parties", we're not even supposed to call them "sleep-overs". It's just "hey man, can I crash (or insert destructive verb of choice) at your place?".

Anyways, I love how, even with guys, or at least with virgin guys, okay, at least with this virgin guy, when you're lying on the floor or cot/couch across the room from your roomie staring at the ceiling in the darkness how the subject always turns to women. If I'm seeing someone or wanting to see someone, we'll talk about them. Or, as has been the case lately, if I'm not really interested in someone or at don't think you are, I'll begin to wonder about what kind of woman I will end up with.

Its like I told Mary the other day. I'm pretty sure God could materialize a woman in front of me, strap a couple of stone tablets around her neck with a note written on them saying "Neil... Golemo... yeah you, this is the woman I've created for you to love, marry and support for the rest of your life" and I'm not really sure I could visualize it.

For someone who's always been so in love with the idea of being in love, this really bothers me. I think I've wanted to get married and have tons of babies since, well, I guess the day I realized I might not ever be able to. So I guess I've been thinking about it for almost 17 years. Holy crap, that's kind of pathetic, no? Forget you, I'm a hopeless romantic. My mom says I'm a catch.

So anyways, what do I want in a woman?

She's got to be patient. I'm weird. I know I have my quirks. Patience would go a long way with dealing with me. I'm absolutely serious when I put this first on my list. I admire the patient. Sure, we all laugh at the easily excitable, but we depend on the patient to give us chance after chance to do things right.

She must be secure in herself.

She has to be intelligent. I'm not saying I'm a literary dynamo or anything, but I'm not sure anything turns me on more than being able to have a good conversation with a girl... well okay there are a lot of things that turn me on. But seriously, intelligence is up there. I'm a fan of the witty reparte. I'm almost positive I'm going to end up with a girl not just slightly smarter than me... but way smarter.

I'm pretty sure she'll be a Christian. Why is this one so far down the list you may ask? Well, I guess any woman who has the previous mentioned qualities will undoubtably know Jesus is Lord. ;) (jk, Charlotte! I love you very much!)

I'm a leg guy, but not a big breast man. I'm a fan of dark hair but its usually the eyes that get me.

Default look needs to be a smile. I'm pretty definite on this one.

Has to want kids... eventually.

Doesn't mind driving. Takes ME out on dates... but stops short of burning bras.

Understands my Catholic roots.

My family has to like her.

She needs to find me funny. I know this is kind of shallow, but I love to laugh and make others do so.

Mel Brooks movies.

Can I say "patience" again?

She'll have eclectic tastes. Or at least be able to put up with mine. (I guess that goes back with patience). Something tells me she's not going to be a big fan of my renewed love for Comic Books, but she'll probably be able to put up with my rambling on about how Spider-Man could totally kick the Hulk's arse. C'mon, man, do the words Spider-Sense mean anything to you!??!

She will absolutely lay into me from time to time. I need someone I can trust to let me know when i screw up becaus I know exactly how oblivious I can be.

Likes 80's music.

Pinches me in the butt at really opportune moments just to see me blush.

I'm sorry, but she absolutely has to love my two best friends Jason and Greg. She doesn't have to like them, (I don't half the time), but love.... they're that important to me.

She will be brave. I have no idea what is going to happen in my life. I know I want to follow God, but after that, its pretty much up in the air. Now, anyone who knows me will know that I'm basically a boring person. But I have to do what I feel the Lord wants for me. Its led me to Texas, and I'm a fan of that!

Karaoke

I don't care if she is a Cubs fan or not, but she simply has to understand that our Neilietta and Neil Jr. will be.

She will know that she loves God more than she could ever love me.

Baseball Caps are hot. Especially the blue ones with a big ol red "C" in the middle.

These are things I can imagine, but you know what? I can't say that she'll have all or any of these traits. I mean, I think I know what I think I want... (I'm going to let that statement speak for itself).

I'm not confident I can say I know much about the woman that I'm going to marry other than that I will love her with all of my heart. Its the only way I know how. I have my parents to thank because they're the only model I've ever had. She's going to be the best friend I've ever known.

I can't say much for sure. I'll watch Casablanca later tonight and want to add something stupid like "she's got to look good in black and white". Who knows?

But it IS fun to think about. ;)

No comments: