Monday, March 01, 2004

Hug me

Sometimes I miss home. Yeah, sometimes I really miss "The Big Ill."

I was sitting through the sermon today at church and I started thinking about this feeling I've had for a while. It's just been sneaking up on me, this spot of bitter, draining cold you get from the hole in the middle of one of your favorite socks.

It hit me.

I haven't had a good hug in months. I honestly can't remember the last good, solid hug I've recieved. I know I joke around about it a lot, but I really am a huge fan of "the hug". I love how hugs just make you feel safe. Being that close to someone -and not having them scream "rape! or "pervert!", its nice, its peaceful. You feel loved and cared for.

One thing I think its safe to say about our campus is people are very "friendly". Someone you've met once (especially the ladies) find it completely okay to share a hug at the very next meeting. Its totally the norm. As a matter of fact, if you're not sharing hugs with people you at least "kinda know", you're the weird one.

But the hugs... they suck. I mean, there are a few good ones out there but I think they're largely the exception to the rule. Let's examine a few of the different "hug styles" out there:

#1. We have the "Barbie Hug". This is characterized by its stiff, arms-bent-at-ninety-degrees motions. The two participants barely touch and usually have a dream house with matching car.

#2. What Dr. Morman has dubbed the "Baylor Side-Hug". Its the one hug where you don't even face the person. Its mainly utilized people who are either afraid of touching or only have the use of one arm. (sorry to any one-armed people who might be offended by this.)

#3. Guys do the "Shake N' Hug". This move is usually a modified handshake where the two participants shake hands while throwing the free arm around each other, slightly bumping their shoulders. My collegue, Stephen Gulley, says guys might leave the handshake intact while completing the hug to protect from any possible "homophilic" overtures.

and many, many more...

Listen guys, I don't really care about who's hugging what and how. Its not so much about the hugs as it is about sincerity. If you're going to hug someone, do it right! Don't settle for "how everyone does it". Take a chance, and hold someone a little longer. Show them that you really care.

I always feel like a freak when I try to give someone a really good hug. If its a guy, they think I'm making a pass. If its a girl, they think I'm making a pass. And while I do often refer to hugs as "pervin' a feel", I'd honestly appreciate the benefit of a doubt. I'm dying for a good hug. A warm embrace.

No comments: