Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Drop it like it's Hot

Dancing in public is a different animal from the creature that is dancing at home, in private, putting on a show for nothing more than the potted plants. I love music, and as my roommate can probably attest, I will occasionally shake my bon-bon to a particularly rockin' piece of music. However, I usually will respect a dancefloor enough to avoid it as though it were a pool of lava.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed of myself or of my body... ask anyone, I'm plenty proud of it. I guess my reluctance to dance at social gatherings has more to do with respect. I'm not a good dancer. When I dance, its best described as looking like a combination of the floor being really hot with a lot of gnats flying around my head while I'm trying to contemplate a really hard calculus problem. (There is no spoon.) Sigh. So, for the good of those who might risk being hit by an errant, spastic hand, I usually refrain.

However, not tonight.

For some reason or other, tonight I throw caution to the wind. And this time, when someone says "hey Neil, come dance!" I don't fight the urge. My hand doesn't come up in protest. I just go with it. Yes, yes ladies and gents, I proceed to shake what my mamma gave me. I quake my "ga-dunk-a-dunk" and proceed to drop it as though it were exceedingly warm. Its how I roll, baby, holla at ya boy.

As I danced, as I realized how much fun it is to move with pure, unadulterated joy, I actually began to wonder how this was such an amazing metaphor for life. I know the whole "Dance" analogy has been totally played out, but perhaps you'll forgive me a reprisal of this oldie. I promise not to remix it and sample it and Britney spears it. I'll do it acoustic, like a surprise Simon and Garfunkel cover by a rock band. Everyone loves Simon and Garfunkel.

Y'know, not everyone dances so well. And some of us, well, we were just blessed with the happy feet. Well, the way I see it, you can do two things. You can sit and watch or you can get in the mix. You can throw your hat in the ring and play your hand. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are, because you see, the truest beauty of this dance is that we do it together. It doesn't matter how spastic you are or how graceful your vogue is. The joy is in just that itself, finding joy. And I believe true, pure joy can never be a bad thing.

The Lord wants us to dance, people. Sure, we're going to step on toes, (see picture below) but then again people are going to step on ours. And as I always say when someone steps on my feet, "its okay, I walk on them too."

So lets dance, people. Drop it like its hot.

No comments: